Thursday, January 10, 2008

First Appointment

Wow, thank you for all the kind comments! I had my first OB appointment today. It feels so weird to say that! I'm still going to the same doctor (he's in family practice), but I had the whole physical and everything. I didn't think they'd want me to come in quite so soon, but they said it's never too early, so I jumped at the chance to ask all of the questions that have me freaking out while I'm trying to sleep!

The main fear that I have (at the moment!) is ectopic pregnancy. I know, I know, it's supposed to be really rare, but four of my good friends have had at least one. Since I took the letrozole to stimulate ovulation in this cycle, I had ovulation pain for about 6 days, and I keep panicking about the little twinges I'm feeling in the vicinity of my ovaries. Fortunately, my doctor said that it was normal, and that the signs to watch for are bleeding and pain that is continuous and worsening. But--and this is what I love about my doctor (did I mention that I love my doctor? I did? Only 100 times?)--he didn't make little of my concerns. He offered to do HCG tests today and Monday just to make sure things are looking good, and gave me a referral to have an ultrasound next week! In general, though, he said everything looks good. Hooray!

So, I need to call and cancel an audition I have scheduled for Saturday. It's for a musical that closes at the end of June, and something tells me they aren't looking for someone who will (God willing) be 6 1/2 months pregnant on closing night!

I am going to be singing in an opera this winter, though, and it sounds like I'll have to call the costumer and tell her! I'm a little leery of telling them so soon, but I had my costume fitting already, and I have to wear a corset (!) and other tight-fitting clothes. I was thinking I might be able to get away without saying anything, but given what the doctor said about expected weight gain, I'd better tell. The added bonus is that I'll have a little extra breathing room in the costume!

I have to say, on another subject, that the costume fitting was so cool! I've never had such a professional fitting before. They measured everything. Unfortunately for the costumers, some of those measurements are soon to become obsolete! And they dressed and undressed me for each costume, which was kind of fun and made me feel a little bit like a doll. I'm more used to the "take this stack into the dressing room with the other 8 girls, and tell me which one fits each of you" method. I'm really excited about the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm doing some reading on all kinds of pregnancy stuff. I told my best friend and asked her to recommend some books, and she said to get What to Expect When You're Expecting and also something lighter and more conversational. In the last 2 1/2 years, I've deliberately avoided reading anything about pregnancy (except for blogs, of course :-> ), so I have some catching up to do! And I found some good prayers to St. Gerard (thanks, Arwen, for the links!). So, I'm working on keeping the anxiety at bay!

2 comments:

Karey said...

Congratulations! I just got out of the hospital a couple hours ago and I logged onto the internet for the first time since the day before my surgery and I couldn't believe it! It must feel so surreal.

You might have already found a novena to St. Gianna, but here is a link to the one did last week: www.saintgianna.org/novena.htm

Maria said...

Hi,

I found your blog today and wanted to say hi. My name is Maria, I'm forty one, and my husband is forty three. We met on a Catholic singles website. We really, REALLY want to have children. However I'm having difficulty due to recurrent ovarian cysts - I have a 7 cm cyst on my left ovary and now a 3 cm cyst on my right. I will be having surgery on Feb. 12th. I'm terrified - I've never had surgery before. I'm also terrified because my doctor told me that he might have to remove at least one ovary. May I please ask for your prayers? When you get a chance, I would love to hear from you. By the way, when I had my last ultrasound on Tuesday I read the report from my last ultrasound in November and it said the large cyst could be a endometrioma.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

May God Bless you and your husband.

Maria

 

Made by Lena